The deadline for September 2014 start date is January 15, 2014. Only complete applications will be considered by the admissions committee.
M.A. Program: B.A. Honours degree in Sociology is required with an average of at least 75%
Ph.D. Program: A completed M.A. degree with a background in Sociology
All prospective students are required to submit the following:
application procedure http://www.usask.ca/cgsr/applying/index.php
- three confidential letters of reference, at least two of which must be from academic referees. When you apply online you will be asked to provide the email addresses for your chosen referees. Once provided The U of S system will auto-generate a notification to these three emails with a link to a fill in format to make their comments, and which will then be directed to the Department of Sociology.
- original transcript of grades, submitted from the academic institution directly to the Graduate Secretary, Department of Sociology;
- curriculum vitae;
- letter of intent, including a statement of research interests. The letter should outline your academic background and other relevant information, as well as your proposed area of graduate research, identifying as much as possible your research problem, theoretical interests, and proposed data sources or methodological approach. The letter should be 1 to 2 pages for M.A. applicants and 5-6 pages for Ph.D. applicants. The letter is an important means by which the Graduate Studies Committee can determine the extent to which the proposed research can be accommodated within Department programming and to ensure appropriate supervisory resources are available. The letter of intent is also a useful means by which faculty members can identify students whose work may be eligible to be supported through research grants and other external forms of funding;
- evidence of proficiency in English (required for applicants whose first language is not English) - please see http://www.usask.ca/cgsr/admission/language.php for further details and a list of eligible documentation;
- a non-refundable application fee of $75 (Canadian dollars) is payable by credit card, through the on-line application.
Deadline for a September start date is: Early deadline of October 1st or January 15th
Please send all material, prior to the deadline for submission of the completed application and all supporting documents to:
The Department of Sociology
Graduate Studies Committee
University of Saskatchewan
1019 - 9 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A5