September admission deadline: January 15
Only complete applications will be considered by the Sociology Grad Studies Committee.
There is no January admission.
MA Program: BA Honours degree in Sociology is required with an average of at least 75%
PhD Program: A completed MA degree with a background in Sociology
Application Procedure can be found by clicking here
Before you start, you will need to have ready:
- A valid e-mail address.
- Your personal information, education history (including dates and grades from all schools/programs attended), and the correct title of the program to which you are applying, and the names, positions, and email addresses of your references (at least two of your references should be academic).
- Visa or MasterCard for online payment of $90 application fee. This is non-refundable and your application will not be considered complete until the fee is paid.
Paying online with credit card is the preferred payment method, and will ensure the quickest processing of your application. If are unable to pay online with credit card, you may choose one of the following options (please note that these options will result in longer processing times for your application):
A) If you are unable to complete your credit card payment online, but still wish to pay with credit card, you can submit a Credit Card Payment Form The Credit Card Payment Form can be faxed to 306-966-2115, or mailed to Student and Enrolment Services, 105 Administration Place, Saskatoon SK, Canada S7N 5A2.
B) If you do not have access to a credit card, the $90 fee may be paid in Canadian dollars by cheque, money order or bank draft. These may be made payable to “University of Saskatchewan" and submitted to: Student and Enrolment Services, 105 Administration Place, Saskatoon SK, Canada S7N 5A2.
All prospective students are required to submit the following
- Official Transcript of Grades, submitted from the academic institution directly to the staff in the Department of Sociology. This should be done AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, as it can be a lengthy process;
- Three confidential letters of reference (at least two academic referees). When you apply online you will be asked to provide email addresses for your chosen referees. Once provided the University of Saskatchewan system will auto-generate a notification to your identified three emails with a link to a fill in a form. This will then be sent directly to the Department of Sociology;
- Curriculum Vitae (CV). If you have not created a CV before or would like to see a general guideline, please visit the University of Saskatchewan C.V. Guide webpage;
- Letter of Intent, including a statement of research interests. The letter should outline your academic background and other relevant information, as well as your proposed area of graduate research, identifying as much as possible, such as your research problem, theoretical interests, and proposed data sources or methodological approach. The letter should be 1-2 pages for M.A. applicants and 5-6 pages for Ph.D. applicants. The letter is an important means by which the Graduate Studies Committee can determine the extent to which the proposed research can be accommodated within Department programming and to ensure appropriate supervisory resources are available. The letter of intent is also a useful means by which faculty members can identify students whose work may be eligible to be supported through research grants and other external forms of funding;
- Evidence of proficiency in English (required for applicants whose first language is not English). For more information, please see the university language requirements webpage for further details and a list of eligible documentation;
- A non-refundable application fee of $90 (Canadian dollars) is payable by credit card, through the online application.
Please send all material (completed application & supporting documents) prior to the deadline (January 15), in electronic or mailing form, to:
The Department of Sociology
Graduate Studies Committee
University of Saskatchewan
1019 - 9 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A5